Living Well on the Spectrum
Want to know how to live your best life? Want to manage stress, time, emotions, and access success? Check out Living Well on the Spectrum by Valerie Gaus. This book, available for only $20-25 is worth far more than the price of admission!
Living Well on the Spectrum is well organized: a section on how the ASD brain differs (sensory, emotionally, etc) and the benefits of these differences, a section on general problem solving, and then specific chapters regarding various places for intervention (home, work, relationships). Not sure where to start? Dr. Gaus offers a check list for that! Not sure you how best encode information (verbal, visual, tactile)? Dr. Gaus has a checklist for that, too! Wondering how close you are in a relationship/friendship? Handy little chart to help you. Stressed out? Great flow charts and graphics for problem solving.
Overall, Living Well is a book to OWN. Skip the library on this one: buy it, write in it, flag the charts and graphics, and live well!
Here are some books to put this journey into context:
- New to the diagnosis?
- If you have a child, try Raising a Child on the Autism Spectrum by Griffith and Bédard
- If you are an adult and female, try Spectrum Women
- Wanting to learn more about social communication?
- Consider Socially Curious, Curiously Social by Winner and Crooke
- Thinking about college?
- Consider You’ve Got This! by Bédard and Griffith
- Thinking about winning at life?
- Read Living Well on the Spectrum by Gaus
- Try Becoming an Autism Success Story by Lesko
- Are you a therapist?
- Try Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder by Gaus
If you find more books to recommend, please send me an email!